Cashew Cream – Your Basis for Yummy Plant Based Food
Cashew Cream is EVERYTHING
Cashew Cream is a staple of all plant based cooking. This dairy free base can be substituted for other ingredients in so many ways. I’ll provide variations for plant bases sour cream among other things. I make a batch every single week. After you get the hang of it you will too! Not only is it super high in protein but it is entirely versatile. You’re going to love it. You can make it FAST and it keeps for 1 week in the fridge.
Cashew Cream + a little Nutritional Yeast and you have a pretty good Mac & Cheese that is plant based. This is a multi-purpose ingredient that you are going to want to have ready all the time. Cashew Cream can be used in potato salad, pasta dishes, as a base for a wide variety of sauces, and in soups.
You can even use this as a base sauce for a “white pizza”!
This is a great replacement for heavy cream and sour cream. When making heavy cream keep it thicker by using less water.
Cashew Cream is a delicious addition to pasta, butternut squash, drizzled on roasted vegetables, etc.
I have actually got creative and made entire recipes with cashew cream as the starting ingredient. Try blending cashew cream with boiled russet potatoes and basil, placing some additional vegetables like bell pepper and artichokes on top and then baking it at 375 for 30 minutes.
The Key is playing around to make this something you will love. Increase or decrease ratios and amounts. You can’t go too wrong. Remember if you make it too runny you can always blend in some more cashews!
Cashew Cream is also an essential part of my plant-based Cheese sauces when combined with Nutritional Yeast (nooch). The Nutritional Yeast ads a cheesy flavor.
LET YOUR IMAGIATION GO WILD!!!!
What you need:
- Raw Cashews (unsalted)
- A Blender or Nutribullet
- Minced Garlic
- Lemon Juice
- Water (for mixing)
- Boiling Water (for soaking)
- Fine Sea Salt
You’re really going to need a blender. I personally use a Nutribullet. It is fast and easy.
Putting this Together
- Blender I use a Nutribullet but any strong blender of food processor will do just fine
- Kettle I use an electric kettle to boil the water for soaking but a pot is just fine.
- 1 cup Raw Cashews USALTED RAW CASHEWS ONLY
- 1.5 cup Boiling Water for soaking
- 1/2 cup Cold Water for blending
- 2 tbsp Minced Garlic I'm a garlic fiend, adjust for your tastes
- 1 tsp Onion Powder optional
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice More for sour cream or more tart cream
- 1 tsp Fine Sea Salt
For Sour Cream Version
- 1 tbsp White Vinegar In Addition to Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Dry Mustard Powder Substitute Dijon Mustard if Needed
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice In Addition to the Above Lemon
- Place the cashews in a 1 cup measuring cup or bowl and cover with boiling water. Let soak for 30 minutes. Drain.
- Combine the cashews, lemon juice, garlic, onion powder, and salt and a small amount of cold water in your Nutribullet and pulse until creamy, slowly adding more water until you reach the desired consistency.
- For the Cashew Cream Version, add the additional ingredients in step 1.
- Transfer to a plastic container and store for up to 7 days.